It’s very common for us to reach for an extension cord when we find that a power point is too far away when we want to power or charge an electrical device or equipment in our home. There is no doubt about the fact that an extension cord is a very convenient solution in situations such as these. However, it’s important to keep in view that an extension cord is made for a specific purpose. We at Quick Connect Electrical have seen that when electrical cords are used incorrectly, it can result in various electrical hazards. These are the things you have to be aware of, so you can avoid them:
Extension Cord – The Hazards
- An extension cord that is either hanging, loose or is just extended across the floor can result in a tripping hazard. In fact, when someone trips on the wire, the cord can also get pulled out of the socket and the device attached to it can be pulled down and will get damaged as well.
- Never run extension cords under any area rugs or furniture. Some people want to avoid a tripping hazard and lay the cords under carpets or furniture, but that too can be very hazardous. This is because the extension cord can easily get heated-up over time and will result in a fire. .
- It’s never a good idea to use staples/nails to mount the extension cords. When you try to secure extension cords to prevent them from getting unplugged or coming loose, using staples is the wrong way to do this. The staples will just end up puncturing the wire’s insulation; this will cause the electricity to travel through to the outside and can result in electrocution.
- Never attempt to double the length of an extension cord by plugging it into another extension cord. These are meant to run to a certain distance and when you try to extend their reach that impacts the flow of electrical current as well as the gauge. This means the devices connected to them will be left with insufficient power. It’s far better to use a much longer extension cable. Alternatively, you can call our Residential Electricians in Sydney and get a new electrical outlet installed.
- Check whether the extension cord has the capacity to bear the load of the electrical devices you intend to attach to it. Every electrical cord has a certain electrical load capacity; if you push it past this limit that can result in power surges and will damage the device as well.
When the electrical cords aren’t in use, store them correctly. Never leave them in outdoor areas for longer periods of time. One of the best ways to reduce the risk of electrical hazards is to get additional electrical outlets installed.
Quick Connect Electrical has been in this business for a number of years and knows what it takes to provide customers with cost-effective light switch replacement services. To check if we serve your area, just enter your pin code in the box on the right of the page. See what our customers are saying about our company & services. For an emergency electrician in Sydney, any time of the day or night, call us at this number- 1300 725 894.
and Get $50 Off any service