Modern homes and commercial properties have a number of sensitive electrical devices and appliances. These devices are connected to the electrical system and rely on a consistent and healthy supply of current. Most modern electrical systems will provide this consistent supply and ensure the devices only get the voltage they need and not more or less. Unfortunately, systems do experience sudden surges and these surges can ruin these appliances and equipment. This is why we at Quick Connect, we recommend surge protection to our clients.
What is Surge Protection?
When the electrical voltage increases well above the normal levels for more than three nanoseconds, your system experiences a surge. This surge might look small on paper, but it can fry sensitive circuitry, cause wires to become hot and burn, and damage your devices permanently. Surge protection devices monitor the supply of electricity and detect the surge as it happens. They will immediately direct all excess energy to a grounding wire and stabilise the system to normal flow of current and voltage. If you don’t have any surge protection devices, this surge will continue uninterrupted and the excess electricity will damage the system.
Which Devices and Appliances Need Surge Protection?
You don’t need surge protection for all the devices and appliances on your property. We only recommend them for sensitive devices that are more vulnerable to surges and can be damaged easily by them. Here’s a list of ones that need this protection:
- Computers, data centres, and servers
- Televisions and entertainment systems
- Stereo systems, speakers, and media centres
- High-tech kitchen appliances like refrigerators, ovens, dish washers, etc.
These devices aren’t just vulnerable to surges, they’re also very expensive to replace so if you want to save some time and money, you should install surge protection.
Why Call a Professional?
Most people purchase surge protectors from the market and install them in their homes and commercial properties with the help of licensed electricians. Many surge protectors are plug-and-play, so people assume they don’t need professional help while installing them. Unfortunately, that can lead to problems. We recommend you consult with a professional before you make your decision or purchase a protector. Take a look at how our electricians can help you:
- They’ll arrive at your property and assess your electrical system. They will consider the state of your wiring, look at the different devices that already exist on your property, and then determine what kind of surge protection you need.
- Our electricians will consider your budget carefully and then compile a list of surge protection devices that will fit your requirements. They’re very familiar with the different brands and devices available in the market and know which will perform well.
- Once you have made the decision and chosen a surge protector, they’ll install it in your property at the right locations.
If you want to know more about surge protection or have questions regarding our services, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at Quick Connect. You can call us on 1300 725 894 or enter your details and questions in this contact us form.