Almost all homeowners are aware that smoke detectors are crucial for the safety of their home. It’s a proven fact that the rate of house fires in homes without operational smoke detectors is almost 100% higher than homes that have functioning devices.
The unfortunate part is that it’s very easy to forget these installations exist in your home and it’s not uncommon for them to become dysfunctional or fall into a state of disrepair. It’s crucial that you make smoke detector checks a part of your regular electrical maintenance routine. We at Quick Connect Electrical provide excellent smoke detector maintenance services and these are part of the preventive electrical maintenance plans we design for you.
Ensure your smoke detectors are working
It doesn’t take too much time to ensure your home’s smoke detectors are always in a good working condition. The few simple steps you should take are:
- Test the smoke detector each month using its test button. Every manufacturer provides testing instructions and you can follow those.
- If you find that any of the detectors aren’t functioning as they should, replace them without delay.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to clear all the dust from all the smoke detectors in your home.
- Most modern construction has smoke detectors hardwired into the electrical system. However, if any of these devices in your home function entirely on batteries, it’s important that you always keep a fresh set handy.
- If you hear the warning chirp that indicates the batteries are almost dead, don’t delay in replacing them.
- High quality smoke detectors have an average lifespan of 10 years. Check what the expiration date on the smoke detector is and replace it once it expires.
Make sure the location of the smoke detectors is right
Aside from hiring a Residential Electrician in Sydney for maintaining the smoke detectors, it’s also very important to take into consideration the placement of these devices and the manner in which they are powered. When you ensure that the smoke detectors setup is upgraded, that helps you maximise the effectiveness of your fire safety. The things you should ensure are:
- Every bedroom should have a smoke detector
- There should be a smoke detector on every floor
- Install a smoke detector in the basement
- Don’t install a smoke detector near HVAC ducts/windows- this is because the draft might dissipate smoke & can delay the alarm.
- Its best to get these devices hardwired into the electrical system; they should have a battery backup so they function even when there are power outages.
- Get your electrician to check whether the smoke detectors on your property are up to code. If they aren’t, get the devices replaced as soon as possible.
We at Quick Connect Electrical provide 24 Hour Electricians in Sydney services. To check if we serve your area, just enter your pin code in the box on the right of the page. See what our customers are saying about our company & services. For an emergency electrician in Sydney, any time of the day or night, call us at this number- 1300 725 894.