Homeowners often embark upon DIY projects and in addition to painting, carpentry, and other small repair tasks, many people also try to handle electrical jobs themselves. While it may save you a certain amount of money, there are distinct risks to doing electrical work around your home. These jobs should always be handled by a trained and licensed electrician with the right knowledge and tools. There are a number of things that can go wrong when you try to handle electrical tasks yourself such as:
- Using wires and cabling of the wrong size- There are many different types of wires and cables available and the gauge of wire you purchase would depend on the application and installation it’s going to be installed in. this makes it crucial to use wiring and cabling as well as devices of the right grade. Using the incorrect wiring can lead to an overload of the circuit and cause the circuit breaker to trip constantly.
- Faults in the electrical box connections– The electrical box provides the connections protection from external conditions and it’s important that all the electrical connections are installed within it correctly. Aside from this, the boxes shouldn’t be overfilled either as that can result in overheating of the wires which in turn could result in a short circuit or fire.
- Outlets and switches fitted incorrectly- If the outlets and switches have been installed improperly, that can cause a problem once you plug in an appliance. Loose wires can become detached from the terminals and result in arcing and overheating as well, which can potentially lead to a fire breakout.
- Incorrect fuse replacement– This is quite a common cause of an electrical fire. If a fuse blows, you may end up replacing it with an incompatible fuse. If it trips with regularity, it’s important to find out what the cause of the problem is and then get it fixed by a skilled electrician. There are times when the connections within the fuse box may not be positioned correctly and fitted securely. If you find that the lights on a particular circuit are flickering or getting switched off too often that could indicate that the fuse connections are loose which can result in overheating and a fire.
- Excessive load on the outlets– This is another mistake many DIY enthusiasts make. They tend to use more power outlets on a single switchboard than its capacity which results in an overload when various appliances are plugged in. If you exceed the amperage of the board that can cause problems too.
As you can see, there are a number of different things that can go wrong when a novice handles any electrical work. It’s never a good idea to handle any electrical jobs yourself. We at Quick Connect Electrical can provide excellent power point installation, replacement, and repair services at very cost-effective pricing. To check if we serve your area, just enter your pin code in the box on the right of the page.
See what our customers are saying about our company & services. Regardless of what your requirement is, we can provide you the best services. For an emergency electrician in Sydney, any time of the day or night, call us at this number- 1300 725 894; you are assured of prompt and expert services at all times.
and Get $50 Off any service