How to Identify When You Need to Replace Your Powerpoints
Electrical outlets or power points are very important installations and are found in every single room of your home. These installations are subjected to a significant amount of wear and tear. Once they become dated or damaged, it isn’t just an inconvenience, but can be extremely hazardous as well. One of the best ways to avoid the possibility of burns or electrical shocks, is to identify what the signs of damage or deteriorated power points are.
Signs To Look Out For
- The powerpoint faceplate is cracked, chipped or broken. This can result in arcing whenever you try to insert any plug.
- You notice that the slots have become loosened and even the weight of the cord can easily pull the plug out the point, rather than staying safely and firmly in place.
- The outer plastic feels very warm to the touch. It shows signs of charring or darkening and emits an unpleasant burnt odour.
- If the internal wiring or contacts have deteriorated that can result in overheating, which will eventually cause the points to melt or result in sparking. In a serious scenario, this type of a problem can also lead to an electrical fire. This has to be treated like an emergency warning and it is important that you act without delay. The very first thing to do is to turn off the circuit breaker switch that controls that circuit and call in an experienced and licensed electrician like Quick Connect Electrical without delay.
- You experience electric shock when you touch the powerpoint. This particular situation could be caused by an appliance that you are using, the wiring, or the outfit itself. Unplug the connected appliance to investigate whether that is causing the problem. If the appliance is not at fault, call an electrician immediately to examine the power point as well as the adjacent wiring for any faults.
- The powerpoint has gone dead. The very first thing to do is to check whether or the other outfits are in a functioning condition. Then look for a GFCI device or breaker that has tripped and then reset it as required. If this particular step doesn’t solve the problem, we need to check the powerpoint. Plug in any small appliance(one that you have tested elsewhere), in order to ensure that the problem lies with the receptacle itself.
- The other common cause of powerpoint problems is exposure to moisture. This is also why GFCI outlets are installed in areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, outdoor spas, laundries or pool spaces. If you find that the powerpoint has become damp, quickly flip the connecting breaker and called us without delay for powerpoint installation
Quick Connect Electrical can provide all types of commercial and residential electrical services. We also offer 24/7 emergency services at very cost-effective pricing. To check if we serve your area, just enter your pin code in the box on the right of the page. See what our customers are saying about our company & services. We can provide you the best services at cost-effective pricing. For an emergency electrician in Sydney, any time of the day or night, call us at this number- 1300 725 894.
and Get $50 Off any service